Tuesday, February 23, 2010

New plan of attack!

This morning I started a new reading plan.  It is designed to go through the Old Testament once and the New Testament twice in a year.  I have attempted the read the bible in a year thing before, but stalled out through the Old Testament.  I figured this might change things up a bit for me and keep me on the right track.  I am especially feeling convicted due to the fact that my 8 year old son is in 1 Chronicles on his way to reading through the bible.  I was talking to him a couple nights ago about how he is doing in his reading and he asked me if I had caught up to him.  I humbly had to say no.  So, I am now back at it again.

This reading plan take you to 4 books of the bible each day.  2 Old Testament and 2 New Testament.  Right now we are going through a lot of beginnings.  The beginning of the world, the beginning of Jesus's live on earth, the beginning of the disciples journey without Jesus on earth, and the beginning of building the Lord's house in Jerusalem.  What was so awesome about these beginnings is that they all began because God did something.

When it was time to create the earth, God spoke.  When it was time for Jesus to be born, God made Mary with child.  When it was time for the disciples to begin there journey, God had given orders through the Holy Spirit.  When it was time to build the house of the Lord in Jerusalem, God appointed Cyrus and stirred the people to build.  It is pretty apparent that none of these things would not have happened without the sovereign power of the Lord.

I know this might seem pretty basic, especially to the believer.  We have been taught from the time we enter the doors of the church that God is powerful.  That God is the creator of all things.  That we can do all things through Christ who gives us strength.  So, I know that this is no huge revelation.   But, what keeps coming to mind and is impressed on my heart is how often we forget this.  Despite the fact that it is ingrained in us from the beginning of our life with Christ, we tend to forget about the absolute power of God and begin to live our lives based on our own understanding.  We find ourselves in situations that we have no clue which way to turn and instead of drawing on that awesome power, we lean to personal logic and the worlds definition of understanding.

Acts 23-25 spoke to me this morning.  It says, " So they put forward two men, Joseph called Barsabbas ( who was also called Justus), and Matthias.  And they prayed and said, 'You, Lord, who know the hearts of all men, show which one of these two You have chosen to occupy this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.'"  This was Peter speaking and his heart was to truly see direction from the Lord.  How many times are we faced with decisions that we never stop and pray and ask the Lord for direction as Peter did here.  What an example for us to be completely dependent on the Lord for guidance.  I know that I fail at this more often then not and my prayer is that the Lord stirs my heart to seek Him at all times.

My prayer is that God continues to stir me as he stirred Cyrus and the people to build the house of the Lord.  God has given me a house and has blessed me with the awesome responsibility to lead and teach them in the way of the Lord.  I believe the only way that I can do that is to be faithful in my reading and time with God.

I also pray that the Lord is working mightily in your life and I hope to encourage you in your time with the Lord.

BLESSINGS..... Billy

1 comment:

  1. hey ya billy, i really like the blue letter bible on the computer. it reads to you some 1-6 chapters daily. i ususally do it while counting the cash drawers at work, that way anyone who comes into my office is exposed to the word. only down side is when you get a 'what did he just say?' moment. you have to restart at the beginning of the chapter. maybe thats not so bad. don smith.

    ReplyDelete