Saturday, February 6, 2010

Last official day of work complete... but the work has just begun...


Today was a productive day overall.  We knew that this would be the last day we would be on the job site, so we focused everyones effort on the job Steve and I started and one of the new jobs.  We were hoping to get the first job complete, but were unable to due to materials.  So, a few of us moved to one of the other houses to get some things done.  All in all we had 14 people on the jobs today.  We were able to get a lot accomplished.

One of the greatest things we were able to experience, was getting to know the local workers that were on the job sites.  We had multiple opportunities to share with them about why we are here and spoke about the love of Jesus.  This is where it gets a bit tough because of the culture.  Because the island is respectful of religious customs and most people recognize God, it is hard with the language barrier to completely understand if they have had a conversion.  They say the right things because God is spoke about openly on the island and most of them at one time in their life have attended a church.  You speak about the love of Jesus and their need for salvation and they will nod their head yes.  You are not even sure if they are saying they have a relationship with Him or if they are just acknowledging they understand.  God has given me a peace to understand that it is not our place to reconcile that.  Our job here is to present the Gospel and let God do with it what He will.

In that time we have been able to share with them, we have been able to get to know them pretty well.  Being that this was our last day working with them, they were asking a lot of questions about who the next team will be coming in.  I shared with most of them that we didn't know who they were and they expressed to me that they were going to miss us.  On worker, Soli (not sure of the spelling) said that he really enjoyed working with us and is going to be sad to see us go.  He shook my hand and wished me a safe trip home.  I was amazed by how they truly appeared to be impacted by us.  It was a very humbling experience and it really lifted my spirits about what we have done here.  It is always said that sometimes your greatest testimony can be how you work with people and handle the situations.  That people are always around you watching and that at times you can impact them more by your actions than by your words.

With that being said, I think it is important to go back to the beginning of how we start our days.  We have been getting up and having a devotional time before we go about our day.  Today was my day and I had been seeking the Lord on what it was that he would have me to say.  He lead me to two verses.  The first was Mathew 25:10.  This is the parable of the 10 Virgins who were preparing to meet the bridegroom.  5 of them brought their lamps with oil and the other 5 did not bring their oil.  The verse says, "But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived.  The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet.  And the door was shut."  5 of the virgins were unprepared to meet the bridegroom.  That is what I have felt like everyday has been about while we have been here.  To be prepared when God provides an opportunity to share.  I also needed that encouragement to know that God is in control because later in the chapter in verse 13 he says, "Therefore, keep watch because you do no know the day or the hour."  It reminded me that God is supreme and as long as I am walking with Him daily, he will work through me in any situation and I need to be prepared to do so when He calls.

In that, God also lead me to Philippians 3:11-14.  It says, "Not that I have already attained all of this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.  Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it.  But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and staining towards what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus..  Our job is to bring the Good News to the people we interact with and know that God will handle the rest.  We are to continue to watch and strive to accomplish that Goal.

This reminder was just what I needed at the perfect time.  If I continue to be prepared for God's will and press on to win the prize, God will handle what is necessary for His will to be fulfilled.  I was reminded that we are constantly effecting the lives of people around us and that my faith needs to continue in God to do what He will with that seed.  There was definitely a seed planted with these men and my prayer is that if salvation is not present in their lives, that it will be soon.  As I was singing with our social worker Roy.... He's an on time God.... yes He is!"

So as my brother Ace stated in one of his comments, although we have finished the physical work we will be doing on the island, the work will be just beginning when we leave American Samoa.  The Lord will continue to do with that seed what He wills.

God has been so good and faithful on this trip.  I hope in someway by hearing how He has been working in the almost two weeks of us being here that God has touched your life in some way.  He is an awesome God and worthy to be praised.

My God Bless You... Billy

No comments:

Post a Comment