Thursday, January 28, 2010

What a great Day!

We got up early this morning and were on our way. Cheerios for breakfast and and MRE for lunch. I have never had an MRE, but most of the people with us are ex-military and they seem to eat these on a regular basis. I have to say that overall it was not bad. I could eat it in a pinch if I had to. Others seem to like them way too much.... :)

We have seen some pretty awesome sights while here on the island, but I think today has topped them all. As we drove over the hill down into Fagasa, I felt like I was in a movie. The tropical vegetation was so thick and green and the view of the bay was amazing. As we drove up to the house, the first picture was our view of the ocean. God's creation is so beautiful I almost forgot how hot and humid it was. Just to give a little idea of what the people in Fagasa experienced, after the earthquake shook them long and hard, the ocean water reseeded to beyond the opening of the bay. All they could see was the rocky bottom knowing that the next thing that was going to happen was going to be a huge wall of water. They ran to a two story house in the village and all of the family was safe. Cars were swept into the ocean and houses were damaged or completely destroyed. Just looking at it now, it is hard to believe that such a peaceful view could bring so much havoc. I was able to sit and talk with the daughter of the High Speaking Chief that we are working for. She was able to give me a play by play of what she went though. She was also able to share with me a lot of the familiar customs that I found amazing. I wouldn't mind being a part of that kind of tradition and respect the American Samoan people practice. For instance, one of traditions and expectations is that when you have someone working at your house, paid or not, you are to prepare a meal for them. This is especially true if they are from another part of the world. They want to share with you there culture and give you the opportunity taste their food. So, at about 2:30 local time, two younger gentlemen began to setup a table right on the edge of the shore and fill it with local food. On the menu was Yellowfin tuna, breadfruit, a sweet coconut mixture to dip the breadfruit, and a fresh coconut to drink. He also included some tacos and spaghetti because as I found out later, he was worried we might not like it. All I have to say is that I am glad he did. If you don't know, I do not like fish at all. Add to the fact that my stomach was upset today for some reason, I was not up for trying anything new. But, because it is considered disrespectful if you do not at least try something, I gave the breadfruit a try. It actually tasted pretty good, but because of not feeling so well, I was not able to eat anything else. So, a bit of taco and spaghetti was all I could handle.

With that being said, the practice of tradition and respect replace the presence of God in their lives most of the time. The hierarchy is not much different than the family system represented in the bible and a lot of those traditions came from some sort of spiritual influence. But, there is a greater focus on the High Chief than on God. Getting a good perspective on how they live their lives has given me great insight on how to be respectful to their customs, but also share the Love of Christ.

We also have three local men working with us that are very knowledgeable and hard workers. They really help out with understanding the building procedures and how things are done here on the island. We have found that they do not pay a lot of respect to codes or safety. A lot of the materials, especially the concrete, is not up to the standards we are bound by in the mainland. Along with the sea air that deteriorates the building materials, it really makes it nice to have a local there to give us some direction. We are not bound to any type of inspections, but are doing our best with what is available to rebuild the homes in an up to date fashion.

(The House we are working on)
We were able to make good progress on the home today. As with most construction projects I have been involved with, we didn't have everything we needed, but will be able to pick it up in the morning. We are installing new electrical service, repairing some interior walls, installing some tile in one of the rooms, framing and installing the local type of windows, repairing the rusted roof, and installing some doors. Considering that this home was almost completely submerged by the tsunami, it is in good condition. The funniest thing that happened today was when I was removing the old masonite on the walls. As I was pulling away one of the sheets, a few cockroaches jumped and scurried away. The locals were laughing at how far I jumped away from the wall. I was not expecting anything to jump out of the walls and it completely surprised me to say the least.
(The wall I was working on)

(My partner in crime Steve)

(Our VOAD representative Roy)
                                                                                
God is so good and faithful. After a few days of feeling like we were running in a bed of sand, we were not only able to go out to the job and begin to work, we were able to begin to build relationships with the locals that I know are reflecting the love of God. I thank you Lord for blessing us with your power to accomplish Your Will.

I want to thank all of you who have been showing your support through your comments on the blog. It is very encouraging and an hope the testimony of the Lord is encouraging to you as well. I also want to thank all of those that are praying for me while I am gone. Your intercession is evident every day.

Thank you again and God Bless. I look forward to updating you again tomorrow.

Billy

5 comments:

  1. I just have to know how your are handling the humidity? We are praying for you and be safe working on Electrical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mission man called from above,sent on a mission,a mission of love.
    With much preparation and much prayer they go out into the world to show GOD really cares.
    No time to consider the cost fore He that sent them,sent them for the lost.
    Gather my sheep so sayeth the LORD, for many of them have been scattered abroad.
    Tell them what you've seen and heard and the SPIRIT I send with you is not just another bird.
    Put on my armor,walk by GRACE, you are representing ME in this place.
    My STRENGTH is ever before you and My right hand is always on you. May God Bless and Keep you.WLL 70X7

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you Billy. I look forward to checking in on you when I can.I knew you would fall in love with the people. They are warm and caring people. Very very reqpectful of family, something I see missing in our country. Keep the faith and God will keep you and your family strong. You are doing us all such a great service and I thank you. Gwen & family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Billy - This is awesome to be able to see what you are doing and hear how it is going. I can not wait for the boys to get home from school to show them. It looks so beautiful there. Stay strong and you are in my prayers. Tara Holtorf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick.... as you know.. humidity is not my friend. But, I have to say that it has been okay so far. Still don't wan't to live in it (unless God calls me to).... :) Thank you for your prayers and I am doing my best to stay safe.

    Gwen.. Thank you so much for your kind words. I really appreciate your encouragement. I do feel like it is one big happy family. Definitely some traditions to be aware of, but they are very respectful of us and what we are doing. Tell Mike and Jake hello for me.

    Tara.. I hope they enjoy the blog. It has been fun updating everyone on what is going on. The island is very beautiful. Thank you so much for your support

    Billy

    ReplyDelete