Saturday, January 30, 2010

A great testimony of Gods Love

We were a little later getting started today.  We had to pick up a few items at the hardware store to be productive today.  The owner of the house was meeting us there to pay for the items, but we had to make a stop at the bank first.  I tell you that because that is where Steve and I received a great testimony today.  We were riding in the pickup truck "Samoan Style".  That just means in the back.  As we waited for the homeowner to go in the bank, the woman who was driving the truck stepped out and began speaking with us.  I wish I could remember her name, but even if I did, I would most likely not be able to spell it.... :)  She gave her account of the tsunami, which was pretty similar to the others we had heard.  But, what stood out was her perspective on the whole thing.  She stated that it was widely professed throughout their village that God must hate them to have sent the earthquake and the tsunami.  She continued on by telling us that she saw it as a blessing.  She  felt the earthquake and saw the water head back into the ocean.  And as that was happening, she ran towards the top of the hill.  She said that if God wanted her dead, it didn't matter how high she was able to get, God would have found her.  One of the things that happens on the island are boat races between the villages.  This is taken very seriously and she professed frustration because they expect the members of the village who are in the boat race to be there above and beyond church.  These boats are really long and we have even seen one named satan.  The lady continued to share that the boat in their village was destroyed and she was kind of glad.  She was hoping that people would stop taking their focus off these boat races and begin to focus more time and energy on God.

Another testimony she gave was that she had been praying for a block home.  That is the most common type of home on the island, but for some reason hers was a stick built.  When the tsunami hit, it wiped out her house completely.  They were able to take the relief money and build a block home for her and her family.  I just kept thinking that here is someone who lost of earthly possessions and all she was thinking about is how God has answered her prayers.  She was very careful to not say that God sent the tsunami to answer her prayers, but I am sure you understand her heart.  That delay at the bank was the best part of the day.

We arrived at the house and began to work.  The volunteer workers were there ready to go and go we did.  One of the projects I am working on is replacing some of the masonite in the living area.  I had a couple of sheets to go and then I could move on to the next thing.  Well, the last piece had to be cut and trimmed and it took me a bit to hit right.  After getting it adjusted just right, I installed it in the right position.  A few hours later, on of the workers was looking for  a pry bar we have.  After all of us looking around for it, Steve stated that the last time he remembered seeing it, it was on top of a 2x4 that is now covered by that "special" piece of masonite.  It didn't take long for me to realize that I have left them in the wall and the only way to get them out was to remove the panel.  It was a bit difficult because the masonite just rips a bit when you are trying to remove it.  I was able to get what ended up being four items left in the wall.  Needless to say, this took a lot of time, but I was able to get it done with a minimum amount of damage to the masonite.

Tomorrows plan is to do some more work on the house.  We should have the same crew of Steve, the VOAD worker, local workers, and myself.  But, it looks like we will have another guy from our team show up to make some good progress.

I was hoping to upload more pictures this time, but my camera battery was dead when I arrived at the job site. I am charging it now and hope to have more pictures tomorrow.

Thank you all again for your support and I look forward to updating you again.  Until next time........
God Bless You.....Billy

2 comments:

  1. Do they an Ace Hardware or only Lowes? I'm trying to picture you riding in the back of a mini? pickup. Not even knowing the driver. Out of character and not a good example for your three at home but it's still fun and only a small step out of your comfort zone to serve and blend in with the locals. If these are the only kind of safety issues that is a good thing. Has there been any scary moments where you felt endangered? Great story about the lady & the boats. I see why people return to the mission field. About the time you get to know the people and customs where some great works start to happen it's time to leave. Tell Steve and the rest of those around you that the Believers back in Arizona are Praying for them too. I'll Check in later. John 14:6

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Billy,

    Wonderful story (the drivers testimony). I can't wait to here about Sunday worship. Sounds like you and the rest of the workers are doing well. Keep up the good work! Sounds like you could use Ralph around to keep track of tools and to organize.

    Hey you are in the southern hemisphere; can you see the Southern Cross? The stars at night are different where you are. I know that you are enjoying God’s creation and I hope you have the opportunity to do some sight-seeing today. We are praying for you and the team! We love you and miss you.

    Blessings,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete